I’m often asked what tools and technology I use. This is my list.
- iPad Pro 10.5 with Magic Keyboard and Canopy keyboard cover plus Apple Pencil – I just love this device and its capabilities; it goes with me most places and in the office allows me to physically separate work/personal tasks. It’s insanely powerful – I’d call myself a poweruser and even I don’t think I use 50% of its abilities. I’m looking forward to iOS 12 and Shortcuts.
- iPhone X – An incredible phone, protected by various Bellroy(http://bellroy.com) covers & wallets. This is the best phone I’ve ever used.
- iPhone 6s – For work use – apps and notifications kept to a minimum.
- MacBook Pro 13” (no TouchBar)
- Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon – Work-issued laptop running Windows 10.
- HP Z27n 27” Display – Lovely anti-glare IPS display, usually plugging into my MacBook Pro but my Lenovo Carbon links up nicely when I’m working from home.
- Mac Mini One – 2012 2.3GHz quad-core i7/16GB/1TB HDD/250GB SSD – Hosted with MacStadium – Used for Plex, Resilio, some VMWare Fusion machines for testing/experimenting, VNC, Hazel for automated file sorting, and a backup location via Arq .
- Mac Mini Two – 2012 2.6GHz quad-core i7/16GB/1TB HDD – Home server – Used for home uses, Plex, Resilio and a backup location via Arq.
- Apple TV 4 – Mainly for Plex, BBC iPlayer and NOW TV.
- Synology DS918+ – For storing and serving up media to Plex and Infuse, backup and Dropbox-like file syncing. Experimenting with the VPN server and the Google Photos replacement ‘Moments’.
Services & Subscriptions
- Fastmail – Excellent paid email and calendar service. #
- Zapier – Amazing service, used for blogging, archiving, reading and generally the glue tying various elements of my life together! See also IFTTT.
- 1Password – Family subscription is a lifesaver.
- Apple Music
- Financial Times
- Office 365
- GSuite – Google apps and storage.
- Amazon Prime – It may not always be the absolute cheapest, but it’s always the fastest.
- Memset Cloud VPS – Superb hosting based near home in Surrey.
- Freedome – VPN service
- iPhone X
- Sandmarc Wide Lens – Great little wide-angle lens attaching to a slim case. I am looking at the broader set of Moment lenses.
- Halide – Incredible camera app on the iPhone X and integrates well with Darkroom, a powerful but easy-to-use photo editor.
Smart Home & Networking
- Sonos – Home-wide music
- Tado – Heating
- Philips Hue – Lighting
- Arlo – Home monitoring cameras & baby monitor
- Eve – Smart switches
- NEEO – Universal remote
- Sonos – Home-wide music
- 1 x Unifi Security Gateway
- 1 x Unifi Cloud Key
- 1 x UniFi Switch 8-port POE 150W
- 2 x UniFi 8 Port 60W PoE Switch – US-8-60W
- 2 x Unifi Access Point Pro
- Safari & Apple Mail
- Arq – Backup to GDrive & Mac Mini
- Screens – Fantastic MacOS and iOS VNC client & server
- Synology Drive
- Freedome VPN & Viscosity
- Day One
- iStat Menus – Useful menubar machine stats
- Daisy Disk – At-a-glance pie charts of disk usage
- irvue – Amazing rotating wallpapers
- Safari & Mail
- Agenda & Bear – Note-taking apps
- Carrot – Fun and detailed weather app
- Drafts – Quick text capture with plenty of export options
- Apollo – Excellent reddit client
- Fiery Feeds – This changes frequently and is often different on iPad and iPhone, but currently I’m using Fiery Feeds and experimenting with Lire as it supports Inoreader tagging
- Pinner – Pinboard.in client
- Micro.blog, Icro & Sunlit – Excellent micro.blog apps
- Plex and Infuse – Videos
- Buffer – Easy scheduling to LinkedIn
- Sleeptot & Sleepy Eyes – White noise apps for babies